Kimchi-Creamed Collard Greens
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/2 pound bacon cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 pounds stemmed collard greens, leaves cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sorghum syrup, (see Note) or pure maple syrup
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup kimchi, finely chopped,
DirectionsIn a large pot, heat the oil.
Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden brown, 7 minutes.
Add the bacon and cook, stirring, until the fat has rendered, 10 minutes.
Add the collards and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until it begins to wilt, 4 minutes.
Add the vinegar and boil for 1 minute.
Add the sorghum syrup, stock, water, crushed red pepper and a large pinch of salt.
Cover and cook, stirring a few times, until the collards are very tender, 1 1/2 hours.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, simmer the cream over moderate heat until reduced by one-third, 10 minutes.
Add the kimchi and remove from the heat.
When the collards are done, stir in the kimchi cream.
Season with salt and serve.