Pumpkin Maple Banana Muffins
- 1 cup all-bran cereal
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 14 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 34 cup whole wheat flour
- 34 cup unbleached white flour
- 12 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 12 teaspoon salt
- 1 34 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 12 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 12 teaspoon mace, ground or 12 teaspoon nutmeg
- 14 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 1 can (15 ounce) pumpkin puree
- 12 banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon maple extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 12 cup pumpkin seeds
- 13 cup white sugar, or 13 cup decorator sugar
DirectionsPreheat oven to 400. Grease muffin tins.
In a large bowl, put cereal, milk, oil and melted butter.
Let sit for a few minutes to soften the bran.
In a smaller bowl, combine whole wheat flour, white flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, mace (or nutmeg) and cloves.
Mix well, being sure to get the lumps out of the brown sugar.
Once the cereal is softened, add pumpkin puree, mashed banana, maple extract and egg.
Gently mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients by third, being careful not to overmix.
Top muffins with pumpkin seeds and granulated or sparkling sugar.
Bake for 25-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.