- 1 can (28 ounce) tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, minced,
- 3 garlic cloves, minced,
- 18 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 lb meatloaf mix, (ground beef, and 8 ounces ground pork. for spicier flavour increase the amount of red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces curly-edged lasagna noodles, broken into 2-inch lengths (10)
- 1 can (8 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated (1/2 cup)
- 8 ounces whole milk ricotta cheese, (about 1 cup)
- 14 cup basil, fresh, minced
DirectionsPour the tomatoes with their juice into a quart measuring cup.
Add enough water to the tomatoes to measure 4 cups.
Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
Add the onion and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
Add the meatloaf mix and cook, breaking up the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
Sprinkle the noodle pieces evenly over the meat.
Pour the diced tomatoes and tomato sauce over the pasta.
Cover and bring to a simmer.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 20 minutes.
(The sauce should look watery after 15 minutes of cooking.
If dry, add up to 1/4 cup additional water to loosen the sauce.
Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup Parmesan.
Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Dot heaping tablespoons of the ricotta over the noodles.
Cover the skillet and let stand off the heat for 5 minutes.
Sprinkle with the basil and serve, passing the extra Parmesan separately.