Shrimp, Chicken, and Andouille Sausage Jambalaya
- 1 12 lbs andouille sausages, diced,
- 1 lb pork sausage, fresh, removed from casings
- 1 lb bacon, diced,
- 4 chicken legs, (thighs and drumsticks separated)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 5 celery ribs, diced,
- 3 large onions, diced,
- 2 green peppers, diced,
- 6 garlic cloves, minced,
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1 bay leaf, dried
- 1 12 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 4 12 cups converted rice
- 3 cups crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups rich chicken broth
- 2 12 lbs shrimp, peeled and deveined (preferably Louisiana white)
- 1 12 lbs louisiana crawfish, peeled and deveined (optional)
- 2 bunches green onions, chopped,
- 12 tablespoon celery salt
DirectionsPreheat a large cast-iron pot over high heat.
Lower the heat to medium-high and add the sausage and bacon.
Cook the meat as evenly as possible, stirring slowly, until the fat is released.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper, add it to the pot, and turn the heat to high.
Once the chicken has browned, add the celery, onions, green pepper, and garlic.
Continue to stir, allowing the ingredients to brown without burning.
Lower the heat to medium and stir in the thyme, bay leaf, paprika, cayenne, and rice.
Keep stirring for 5 to 7 minutes over medium heat.
Add the tomatoes and broth, raise the heat back to high until the liquid boils, and then cover and reduce to a low simmer for 15 minutes.
Season the shrimp and crawfish (if using) with salt and pepper, and add them to the pot.
Keep the pot covered for an additional 5 minutes before removing from the heat and adding the green onions.
Check for seasonings.
Add salt, pepper, and the celery salt.