Burgers with Blue Cheese Mayo and Sherry Vidalia Onions
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons thyme, fresh, chopped, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce, (such as Tabasco)
- 1 pound lean ground sirloin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices (1/4-inch-thick) Vidalia, or other sweet onion
- Cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 4 (1 1/2-ounce) 100% whole-wheat hamburger buns with sesame seeds, toasted
- 4 slices (1/4-inch-thick) tomato
- 2 cups loosely packed arugula
Directions1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. Combine 1/2 cup blue cheese, mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon thyme, and hot pepper sauce in a small bowl; stir well.
3. Divide beef into 4 equal portions, shaping each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
Sprinkle beef evenly with 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and salt.
4. Brush oil evenly over both sides of onion slices; sprinkle with remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
Place the patties and onions on grill rack coated with cooking spray; cover and grill for 3 minutes on each side.
Set patties aside; keep warm.
Place onion slices in a zip-top plastic bag; seal.
Let stand 5 minutes; toss with remaining 1 teaspoon thyme and vinegar.
5. Spread cut sides of buns evenly with mayonnaise mixture.
Arrange 1/2 cup arugula on bottom half of each bun; top with 1 patty, 1 onion slice, and bun top.