Cauliflower Leek Kugel
- 8 cups cauliflower florets, (from 2 medium heads of cauliflower)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 cups leeks, coarsely chopped, (white and pale green parts; from 3 large)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted matzo meal
- 3 large eggs
- 12 cup parsley, fresh, chopped, divided
- 12 cup dill, fresh, chopped, divided
- 1 12 teaspoons salt
- 12 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper, fresh
- 13 cup almonds, chopped, toasted
DirectionsCook cauliflower in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 10 minutes.
Drain; transfer to large bowl and mash coarsely with potato masher.
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add leeks and saute until tender and just beginning to color, about 5 minutes.
Add leek mixture to cauliflower.
Mix in matzo meal.
Beat eggs, 1 tablespoon parsley, 1 tablespoon dill, salt, and pepper in small bowl to blend; stir into cauliflower mixture.
Brush 11x7-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon oil.
Spread cauliflower mixture evenly in prepared dish.
Mix almonds, remaining 7 tablespoons parsley, 7 tablespoons dill, and 2 tablespoons oil in medium bowl to blend.
Sprinkle evenly over kugel.
(Can be made 8 hours ahead.
Cover and chill.
Preheat oven to 350F Bake kugel uncovered until set in center and beginning to brown on top, about 35 minutes.
Let stand 10 minutes.