Black Bean Chili With Butternut Squash and Swiss Chard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 12 cups onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped,
- 2 12 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 -2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 3 cans (15 ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 12 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounce) tomatoes with juice, diced
- 3 cups swiss chard leaves, coarsely chopped
DirectionsHeat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat.
Add onions and garlic; saute until tender and golden, about 9 minutes.
Add squash; stir 2 minutes.
Stir in chili powder, cinnamon, and cumin.
Stir in beans, broth, and tomatoes with juices.
Bring to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, until squash is tender, about 15 minutes.
Stir in chard; simmer until chard is tender but still bright green, about 4 minutes longer.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle chili into bowls and serve.
Sprinkle with chopped cilantro or red onion if desired.