Chili With Cocoa and Salsa
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, or 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 1 12 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 onions, chopped,
- 6 garlic cloves, mashed
- 3 jalapeno peppers, chopped, fresh, seeded and chopped or 2 tablespoons pickled jalapeno peppers, drained and
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano, dried
- 1 can (28 ounce) crushed tomatoes in puree
- 12 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 28 ounces canned red kidney beans, drained
DirectionsSlice sausages into about 6 pieces each, place in 6-quart stockpot or Dutch oven and saute until well browned.
Remove to a mixing bowl and add ground beef to pot and brown.
Remove to mixing bowl.
Drain fat from pot and add olive oil.
Add onions and cook over medium-low heat until they are translucent.
Add garlic and cook another minute or two, or until the garlic is fragrant.
Return sausage and ground meat to pot.
Add jalapenos, salt, cumin, chili powder, oregano, tomatoes, salsa and cocoa.
Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
Adjust seasoning to taste.
Add kidney beans, cover again and cook 30 minutes.