Tuscan Cake with Citrus Compote
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon grapefruit rind, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lime rind, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 container (6-ounce) plain low-fat yogurt
- 5.6 ounces all-purpose flour, (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1.5 ounces fine yellow cornmeal, (about 1/4 cup)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
- 2 large red grapefruit
- 4 large oranges
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice, ground
Directions1. Preheat oven to 325.2. To prepare cake, place sugar and oil in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed for 2 minutes or until well blended.
Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add rinds, vanilla, and yogurt; beat until combined.
3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour and cornmeal into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
Combine flour, cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, and salt, stirring with a whisk.
Add flour mixture to oil mixture; stir with a whisk just until combined.
Pour batter into a 9-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray.
Bake at 325 for 30 minutes or until golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove sides from pan.
Cool cake completely on rack.
4. To prepare compote, peel and section grapefruit and oranges over a medium bowl, reserving juices; place sections in another bowl.
Combine reserved juices and lime juice in a small saucepan; bring to a boil.
Stir in honey and allspice; reduce heat, and simmer 4 minutes or until syrupy.
Cover and chill 30 minutes.
Pour over fruit sections; toss gently.
Serve compote over cake.