Turkish Shepherds Salad
- 1 pound tomatoes, diced,
- 3/4 pound cucumbers, diced, (1 European or 4 Persian)
- 1 green pepper, diced, preferably a long green Italian frying pepper, seeded and
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced, soaked in cold water for 5 minutes, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sumac
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon Turkish, or Aleppo pepper
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 to 2 ounces feta, crumbled (1/4 to 1/2 cup) (optional)
- Black olives as desired, (optional)
- Romaine lettuce leaves and pita bread for serving, (optional)
DirectionsCombine all of the ingredients except the olives and romaine in a large bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes toss together, taste and adjust seasonings.
Garnish with olives and serve, with pita bread and romaine lettuce if desired.