Spiced Ruby and Emerald Indian Pepper Relish - Chutney
- 3 green peppers, diced, cored, seeded and
- 3 red peppers, diced, cored, seeded and
- 1 lb onion, roughly chopped, skinned and
- 1 lb tomatoes, roughly diced,
- 1 lb cooking apple, chopped, cored, peeled and
- 34 lb demerara sugar, or 34 lb brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons allspice, ground
- 2 teaspoons nigella seeds, black onion seeds
- 1 teaspoon green peppercorn, ground
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 34 pint malt vinegar
DirectionsPlace all the prepared vegetables and fruit into a large preserving pan.
Add the spices, sugar and vinegar and give them all a good stir.
Bring them all to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer until everything is soft; but make sure that the peppers still retain their shape.
(Also make sure that the liquids have reduced and the relish is thick and holds together well).
Remove from the heat, pot and cover straight away.
Label and store in a cool, dry and dark place for up to 1 year.