Sesame Beef with Asparagus
- 6 ounces shoulder steak, trimmed, frozen 30 minutes to 1 hour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped, crushed plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 5 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil plus 4 cups, for deep-frying
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons thin soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Shao Hsing, (Chinese rice wine) or dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons Chinese dark vinegar, (available in Asian groceries) or balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Chinese sesame paste, (available in Asian groceries)
- 1/4 pound pencil-thin asparagus tips, (4 inches)
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, very thinly sliced (about 1/3 cup)
- 4 red chili peppers, dried
- 3 scallions, chopped,
- 2 tablespoons ginger, chopped
DirectionsSlice steak into broad 1/8-inch thick strips, about 1 inch wide and 6 inches long.
In a small bowl combine steak strips with baking soda, crushed garlic cloves and 1/4 cup cold water.
Mix well and soak 5 hours.
Rinse steak slices and dry well on paper towels.
In a small bowl mix together egg white and salt, stirring vigorously until egg white foams.
Stir in sesame seeds, 1 teaspoon sugar, 1 teaspoon peanut oil and cornstarch.
Add steak and toss to coat.
Marinate 1/2 hour at room temperature.
In another small bowl, combine thin soy sauce, Shao Hsing, remaining 4 teaspoons sugar, vinegar, sesame oil and sesame paste; set aside.
In a wok heat remaining 4 cups peanut oil over high heat to 375 degrees.
Drain beef, pat dry then deep-fry 45 seconds, turning pieces several times with a metal spoon.
Using a slotted spoon, remove beef and drain on paper towels.
When oil returns to 375 degrees, deep-fry 15 seconds more, remove beef, and drain.
Repeat deep-frying, 15 seconds, a third time.
Remove beef and drain on clean paper towels.
When oil returns to 375 degrees, deep-fry asparagus and red bell pepper 30 seconds.
Drain on paper towels.
Drain off all but 1 tablespoon oil from wok and increase heat to high.
Add chili peppers, scallions, chopped garlic and chopped ginger; stir-fry 1 minute.
Add asparagus and red pepper; stir-fry 10 seconds and add beef.
Stir in soy sauce mixture, bring to a boil and serve immediately with rice.