Apple Crunch Pie Recipe
- 1 c. all-purpose flour plus
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. cake flour
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter -, (1 stick) chilled, and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 3 Tbsp solid vegetable shortening frzn, and cut into 1/2" cubes
- 5 Tbsp chilled whole lowfat milk, or possibly more if needed
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c. golden sugar -, (packed)
- 1/2 c. old-fashioned oats
- 1 tsp grnd cinnamon
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter -, (3/4 stick) melted
- 4 x Golden brown Delicious apples -, (8 to 9 ounce ea) peeled, quartered, cored, sliced 1/4" thick, each slice cut crosswise into 3 pcs
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice, fresh
- 3 Tbsp apricot preserves
- 1 x egg yolk beaten with
- 1 Tbsp whipping cream for glaze
DirectionsFor Crust: Blend first 4 ingredients in processor.
Add in butter and shortening; using on/off turns, process till butter is reduced to pea-size pcs.
Add in 5 Tbsp.
lowfat milk and blend till moist clumps form, adding more lowfat milk by teaspoonfuls if dough is dry.
Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk.
Wrap in plastic; refrigerateat least 1 hour and up to 1 day.
For Topping: Combine first 4 ingredients in medium bowl.
Gradually add in butter, stirring till moist clumps form.
(Can be made 1 day ahead.
) For Filling: Stir apples, sugar and lemon juice in large bowl to blend.
To Assemble: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Roll out dough on lightly floured sheet of parchment paper to 14-inch round, occasionally lifting and turning dough to prevent sticking.
Transfer dough on parchment to rimless baking sheet.
Leaving 2-inch plain border, spread preserves over center of dough.
Sprinkle preserves with 3/4 c.
Spoon apple mix over topping, mounding slightly in center; sprinkle apples with remaining topping.
Using parchment as aid, fold dough border in over apple filling (border won't cover filling completely).
Press border firmly to hold shape and keep in place.
Carefully peel back parchment.
Brush border generously with glaze.
Bake pie till crust is set, about 25 min.
Reduce temperature to 325 degrees.
Bake till apples are tender, covering topping loosely with foil if browning too quickly, about 40 min longer.
Cold pie on baking sheet at least 30 min.
Serve hot or possibly at room temperature.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Comments: This free-form apple pie is shaped and cooked on a baking sheet-eliminating the need for a pie dish.
Using lowfat milk instead of water in the crust makes it tender.