Lamb With Cherries And Couscous
- 8 ounces whole onion, (1 2/3 cups) or 7 ounces chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 ounces assorted wild, or plain white mushrooms
- 8 ounces leg lamb, boneless
- 1 tablespoon coarsely, grated
- 1 lemon
- 1 large orange
- 1 cup whole wheat couscous
- 13 cup cherries, dried
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup orange juice, fresh
- pepper to taste, Freshly ground
DirectionsChop whole onion.
Heat large nonstick pan until very hot.
Reduce heat to medium high; add oil, and cook onion until it begins to soften and brown.
Meanwhile, clean, trim and slice mushrooms; add to onion as it cooks.
Wash lamb and remove fat.
Cut lamb into small cubes, add to onion and mushrooms as they cook, and stir to brown on all sides; remove from heat.
Following package directions, bring water to boil for couscous.
Coarsely grate ginger; finely grate lemon and orange rinds.
Add grated ginger and rinds and couscous to boiling water; cover and remove from heat, and allow to sit until water is absorbed and couscous is tender, about 5 minutes.
Stir the cherries, tomato paste and orange juice into the lamb; season with pepper; return to heat and cook through.
Serve over couscous.