Antioxidant Packed Ragout with Pearl Barley
- 1 cup Uncooked Pearl Barley
- 1/2 teaspoons Rosemary, Dried
- 2 teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 whole Shallot, Sliced, Thinly
- 1 teaspoon Tomato Paste
- 2 cups Button Mushrooms, Sliced,
- 1/2 cups Red Wine
- 1 cup Grape Tomatoes, Halved
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Parmesan Cheese, Optional Topping
DirectionsCook pearl barley according to package instructions.
You may want to use vegetable broth to cook it in, rather than water.
The choice is yours.
I used water in my barley preparation for this recipe.
When barley is finished cooking, season it with the dried rosemary and sea salt and pepper to taste.
In a pot or skillet, over medium heat, add the olive oil, balsamic vinegar and shallot.
Cook for about two minutes.
Add the tomato paste and mushrooms.
Cook for 5 minutes.
Add sea salt and pepper to taste.
Stir in the red wine, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
Add the grape tomatoes and cook until sauce thickens.
This took about 5 to 10 minutes for me.
Remove from heat.
Combine the pearl barley with the tomato/mushroom ragout and enjoy its comforting and healthy properties! The original recipe suggests topping the dish with shaved parmesan, but I completely forgot to add on mine.