Prosciutto and Cranberry Stuffing Meatballs
- 12 ounces cranberries, fresh
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 23 cup water
- 1 ounce butter
- 6 shallots, finely chopped,
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped,
- 1 bunch fresh sage, finely chopped,
- 6 sprigs thyme, fresh, leaves picked
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb sausage meat
- 14 ounces streaky bacon, finely chopped, very
- 7 ounces white breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons walnuts, lightly crushed
- 1 lemon, finely grated, zest of
- 16 slices prosciutto
- vegetable oil, for dabbing
DirectionsPut the cranberries and the sugar in a small saucepan.
Add in the water and stir, then heat until bubbling gently and stir again until the sugar has dissolved.
Turn off the heat and leave to go cold.
The berries should have softened and deflated slightly.
Heat the butter in a frying pan.
Add in shallots and garlic and fry gently until the shallots have softened but not coloured.
Remove from heat.
Mix in the sage and thyme then season with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Mix in the sausage meat, minced bacon, breadcrumbs, walnuts and lemon zest.
Use your fingers and make sure everything is well mixed together.
Drain away the syrup from the cranberries, then stir the berries into the stuffing mix.
Shape the stuffing into 8 balls, each the size of a large golf ball.
Wrap each one in two slices of prosciutto.
Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge to firm up, ideally overnight.
Once the turkey has finished roasting, preheat the oven to 400F Remove the plastic wrap from the stuffing balls and place them across a shallow roasting tin, leaving lots of space between them.
Dab them all over with a little oil and roast for 30 minutes or so until crisped and cooked through.