- 2 pints strawberries, frozen, fresh or
- 2 1 oz , (28 grm). envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) sugar
- 4 egg yolks, well beaten (save whites for later use in recipe)
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) Cool Whip whipped topping
- 2 or more drops red food coloring, optional
DirectionsPuree berries in blender.
In a 1 quart (950 ml) sauce pan combine 1 cup (225 ml) berry puree, gelatin, water, the 2/3 cup (150 ml) sugar, egg yolks and salt; stir to mix.
Heat about 4 minutes or until mixture just begins to boil.
Add remaining berries and lemon juice.
Chill until consistency of unbeaten egg whites.
Beat eff whites until stiff peaks form.
Add 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar, one tbsp at a time, beating constantly until stiff and glossy.
Fold Cool Whip and berry mixture into whites.
Add food coloring, if desired.
Pour into 2 quarts (1900 ml) mold.
Chill at least 3 hours.