Jiaozi (Chinese Potstickers or Gyoza)
- 3 cups napa cabbage, chopped,
- 4 shiitake mushrooms, dried
- 14 cup green onion, minced,
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 12 teaspoons ginger, finely chopped, fresh, peeled and
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 12 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 18 teaspoon white pepper
- 5 ounces lean pork, ground
- 5 ounces chicken breast, ground
- 1 large egg white
- 48 gyoza skins
- 14 cup vegetable oil
- 1 13 cups water
- 3 tablespoons ginger, finely chopped, fresh, peeled and
- 2 tablespoons green onions, minced,
- 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons chinese black vinegar, or 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons shaoxing wine, (Chinese cooking wine) or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons chili paste with garlic
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
DirectionsTo prepare dumplings, cook cabbage in boiling water 1 minute or until tender.
Drain and rinse with cold water.
Cool and chop.
Place mushrooms in a small bowl and cover with boiling water.
Cover and let stand 30 minutes or until tender.
Drain mushrooms and chop.
Combine cabbage, mushrooms, 1/4 cup green onions, 2 tablespoons cornstarch, and next 7 ingredients (through egg white) in a large bowl.
Cover and refrigerate 4 hours.
Working with 1 gyoza skin at a time (cover remaining gyoza skins to prevent drying), spoon 2 teaspoons dumpling mixture into center of each skin.
Moisten edges of gyoza skin with water.
Fold in half, pinching edges together to seal.
Place dumpling, seam side up, on a baking sheet sprinkled with remaining 1 teaspoon cornstarch (cover loosely with a towel to prevent drying).
Repeat procedure with remaining gyoza skins and filling.
Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add 12 dumplings to pan and cook 3 minutes.
Add 1/3 cup water.
Reduce heat, and simmer 3 minutes or until water evaporates.
Repeat procedure with remaining canola oil, dumplings, and water.
To prepare the sauce, combine 3 tablespoons chopped ginger and remaining ingredients in a small bowl.
Serve sauce with dumplings.