Chicken in Creamy Yoghurt Sauce
- 2 12 lbs chicken fillets, cubed, rinsed and drained
- 4 tablespoons butter, or 4 tablespoons ghee
- 12 cup shallot, chopped
- 2 green peppers, seeded and cubed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, or 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 1 large onion, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 3 teaspoons cumin, ground
- 3 teaspoons coriander, ground
- 12 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 14 cup tomato puree
- 34 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- coriander, fresh, (to garnish)
- 12 cup unsalted cashews, ground to a paste with
- 12 cup water
- 12 cup cream
DirectionsHeat butter and saute chicken pieces for 5 minutes.
Add shallots and green pepper, stirfry for 3-4 minutes.
Remove sauteed items.
Add the oil to the remaining butter.
Add the whole spices: bay leaves, cinnamon, green cardamom and cloves.
Add onion, garlic and ginger, and fry until lightly browned.
Add ground cumin, coriander, turmeric, chili powder, tomato puree and salt.
Cook gently until the oil separates.
Reduce heat and slowly add in the yoghurt while stirring.
Add chicken, shallots, green pepper and cashew-cream paste.
Spinkle garam masala, simmer for 5 minutes.
Garnish and serve with naan or rice.