Thai-Style Steak Salad
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped,
- 2-inch piece fresh ginger, grated, peeled and
- 2 tablespoons tamari, (dark aged soy sauce, found on the international aisle)
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds flank steak
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, (eyeball it)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 English, sliced, thinly or seedless cucumber
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced, cored, seeded, and thinly
- 5 radishes, sliced, thinly
- 2 cups carrots, shredded, (available in pouches in the produce department)
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced, thinly
- 10 mint leaves, chopped, fresh,
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped, fresh, (a generous handful)
- 10 basil leaves, fresh, chopped or torn
- 1 sack, (12 ounces) baby spinach or 3/4 pound from bulk bins, washed and patted dry
- 1/4 cup unsalted roasted peanuts, chopped,
DirectionsHeat a grill pan or outdoor grill to high heat.
In a small bowl, mix the garlic, three fourths of the grated ginger, the tamari, and hot sauce.
Whisk in about 3 tablespoons of the vegetable oil.
Place the meat in a shallow dish and coat it evenly in marinade.
Let stand for 10 minutes.
In a small skillet, toast the shredded coconut until lightly golden, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Keep an eye on it; the coconut can go from golden brown to burnt, quickly.
Remove the toasted coconut from the skillet and reserve.
In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ginger, the sugar, rice wine vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a slow, steady stream.
In a salad bowl, combine the cucumbers, bell peppers, radishes, shredded carrots, onions, mint, cilantro, and basil.
Pour the dressing over the veggies, toss to coat, and let sit while you cook the steak.
Grill the flank steak for 6 to 7 minutes on each side.
Remove the flank steak from the grill and let the juices redistribute before slicing, 5 to 10 minutes.
Thinly slice the meat on an angle, cutting the meat against the grain.
To the dressed veggies, add the spinach, sliced steak, toasted coconut, and chopped peanuts, toss thoroughly, and serve.