St. Anselms Iceberg Wedge Salad
- 6 ounces thick-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar, granulated
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce, cut and cored into 4 wedges
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup parsley, fresh, roughly chopped
DirectionsIn a large skillet set over medium heat, cook the bacon until crisp, approximately 8 to 10 minutes.
Using tongs or a slotted spoon, remove the bacon to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
Pour off all but 1/4 cup of the bacon fat in the skillet.
Lower the heat under the skillet, then stir in the flour and cook, stirring often with a spoon, until the flour is lightly browned, approximately 3 to 5 minutes.
Add 1 1/2 cups water to the mixture, along with the vinegar, sugar and mustard, and allow to come to a simmer.
Whisk the mixture frequently until the dressing is thick enough to resemble gravy and coat the back of a spoon, approximately 10 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
Put the iceberg wedges on plates.
Drizzle with the warm dressing, and sprinkle with the bacon pieces, blue cheese and parsley.