Cauliflower, Broccoflower and Frisee Salad with Olives
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped,
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, yolks separated from the whites
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- pepper, Freshly ground
- 1 pound broccoflower, cut into florets and very thinly sliced lengthwise or broccoli
- 1 pound cauliflower, cut into florets and very thinly sliced lengthwise
- 4 cups frisee, or yellow escarole
- 4 scallions, sliced, white and tender green parts, thinly
- 2 cups thinly sliced celery hearts and leaves
- 1 European cucumberhalved, coarsely chopped, seeded and
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/2 green bell pepper, sliced, thinly
- 1/2 cup Spanish green olives, pitted, or pimiento-stuffed olives, halved crosswise (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons salted capers, rinsed
DirectionsIn a mortar, puree the garlic with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Add the egg yolks and pound until smooth.
Stir in the sherry vinegar and mustard and transfer to a small bowl.
Slowly whisk in the oil and season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, combine the broccoflower, cauliflower, frisee, scallions, celery, cucumber, parsley, bell pepper, olives and capers.
Add the dressing and toss well.
Finely dice the egg whites, scatter them over the salad and serve.