Roasted-Tomato Soup with Parmesan Wafers
- 4 pounds tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 6 garlic cloves, left unpeeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped,
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups chicken stock, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Accompaniment: parmesan wafers
- Garnish: oregano sprigs
DirectionsPreheat oven to 350F with rack in middle.
Arrange tomatoes, cut side up, in 1 layer in a large 4-sided sheet pan and add garlic to pan.
Drizzle tomatoes with oil and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
Roast tomatoes and garlic 1 hour, then cool in pan.
Peel garlic cloves.
Cook onion, oregano, and sugar in butter in a 6-to 8-quart heavy pot over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Add tomatoes, garlic, and stock and simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
Puree soup in batches in a blender (use caution when blending hot liquids), then force through a sieve into cleaned pot, discarding solids.
Stir in cream and salt and pepper to taste and simmer 2 minutes.
Divide soup among 8 bowls and float 1 wafer in center of each.