Chocolate-Frosted Golden Cupcakes with Caramel and Pretzels
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar, granulated
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk, at room temperature
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped,
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- Pinch salt
- Crushed pretzels, for topping
- Caramel sauce, for topping
DirectionsPreheat the oven to 350. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper or foil liners.
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the cornstarch, baking powder and salt.
In a large bowl, using a handheld electric mixer, beat the sugar with the eggs and vanilla extract at medium-high speed until smooth and thickened slightly, about 3 minutes.
Add the butter and oil and beat until incorporated, scraping the bottom and side of the bowl.
Add the dry ingredients and milk in 3 alternating batches, beating well between additions.
Carefully pour the batter into the lined muffin tins, filling them about two-thirds full.
Bake the cupcakes in the center of the oven for 20 to 23 minutes, until springy and a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let the cupcakes cool slightly in the muffin tin, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Put the chopped chocolate in a heatproof medium bowl.
In a small saucepan, heat the cream with the butter, corn syrup and salt until hot but not boiling.
Immediately pour the mixture over the chocolate.
Let stand for 5 minutes, then whisk until smooth.
Let the frosting cool, whisking occasionally, until thick enough for dipping and glazing the cupcakes, about 30 minutes.
For a frosting firm enough to spread, let stand for 1 hour.
Frost the cooled cupcakes, top with the crushed pretzels and caramel sauce and serve.