- 6 tablespoons shiro miso*, (white fermented soybean paste)
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, (not seasoned)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- 3 3/4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon ginger, fresh, peeled, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus additional for brushing pan
- 6 Asian eggplants, (about 8 inches), halved lengthwise
- 2 scallions, finely chopped,
Whisk together shiro miso, vinegar, water, sugar, and ginger until sugar is dissolved.
Brush a large shallow baking pan with oil and arrange eggplant, cut sides up, in pan.
Brush tops with 2 tablespoons oil (total).
Broil eggplant 4 to 6 inches from heat until it begins to turn pale golden and soften, 4 to 5 minutes.
Brush generously with miso mixture and broil 2 minutes more.
Brush eggplant with miso again and rotate pan 180 degrees (do not turn eggplant over), then continue to broil until eggplant is tender and glaze is golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
Serve sprinkled with scallions.
*Available at Asian markets, specialty foods shops, and Uwajimaya (800-889-1928).