Papaya, Cashew and Frisee Salad
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced, thinly
- 1 medium shallot, sliced, thinly
- 1 small carrot, finely diced,
- 1 small red bell pepper, finely diced,
- 1 red Thai chile, sliced, thinly
- 1/4 cup lime juice, fresh
- 3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar, granulated
- 1/2 teaspoon chili oil
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- 3 cups packed frisee lettuce, (4 1/2 ounces), torn into bite-size pieces
- 2 ripe 3/4-pound papayaspeeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 canned whole water chestnuts, drained and cut into thin rounds or 2 ounces jicama, peeled and cut into 1-by-1 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 cup salted roasted cashews
- 2 tablespoons finely julienned fresh ginger
DirectionsHeat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet.
Add the garlic and cook over low heat until golden, about 1 minute.
Add the shallot, carrot, bell pepper and chile and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the carrot is softened, about 7 minutes.
Add the lime juice, vinegar, brown and granulated sugars and chili oil and bring to a boil.
Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
Transfer the contents of the skillet to a blender and puree.
Season with salt.
In a small skillet, toast the sesame seeds over moderately high heat until golden, about 40 seconds; let cool.
In a large bowl, toss the frisee with the papayas, water chestnuts, cashews and ginger.
Add about 1/3 cup of the dressing and toss to coat.
Mound the salad on plates, sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds and serve.