Asparagus & Corn Soup (cheat's Version)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped finely
- 3 slices bacon, rind and fat removed and diced finely
- 1 can (420 g) cream asparagus soup, (condensed)
- 1 can (340 g) asparagus, cuts & tips (or canned asparagusspears, cut into bite-sized pieces, drained)
- 1 can (250 g) corn kernels, drained (I used 2 x 125g cans)
- 1 cup water, (1 cup is equivalent in volume to 1/2 a 420g can of soup - I just used the can to measure the liquid
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup cream
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock powder, (or 1 stock cube) or 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
- 18 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground,
- 18 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, fresh or 12 teaspoon dried thyme
- 34 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated,
DirectionsMelt the butter in a large saucepan.
Fry onions, garlic and bacon over a medium heat, until onions are soft and transparent and the bacon is cooked.
Remove the pan from the heat and, stirring, pour in the can of condensed soup.
With the pan still off the heat, add the water and milk, a little at a time, stirring or whisking constantly to combine.
Return soup to heat, add the cream and the wine and stir to blend thoroughly.
Stir in the can of asparagus pieces and the corn.
Season with the stock powder, pepper, nutmeg and thyme.
(If using a stock cube, dissolve it first in a little hot water.
) Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat and allow it to simmer very gently for 15 minutes.
Taste before serving and add salt if required or a little more stock powder.
Serve soup into bowls and sprinkle over the grated parmesan.