Apple Ladder Loaf
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 14 cup warm water, (110 to 115 )
- 12 cup warm milk, (110 to 115 )
- 12 cup butter, softened
- 13 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 34 cups all-purpose flour
- 13 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 14 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 12 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 18 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 14 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon orange juice
- 14 teaspoon vanilla extract
DirectionsIn a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water.
Add the milk, butter, sugar, salt, eggs and 2 cups flour.
Beat on low speed for 3 minutes.
Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes.
Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
Cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hours; punch dough down.
Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Punch dough down.
Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half.
Roll each half into a 12-in.
Place each on a greased baking sheet.
Spread with butter.
For filling, combine the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice in a large bowl; Add apples and toss to coat.
Spread filling down center third of each rectangle.
On each long side, cut 1-in.
wide strips about 3 inches into center.
Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling; seal ends.
Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 45-60 minutes.
Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
Combine icing ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm loaves.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Store in the refrigerator.