Roast Lamb with Spiced Red Cabbage
- 6 cups thinly sliced red cabbage, (about half of large head)
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup green apple, peeled, chopped
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 cup creme de
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds lamb neck bones
- 1 cup canned beef broth
- 1 cup canned low-salt chicken broth
- 2 1 1/2- to 1 3/4- pound racks lamb
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 tablespoon basil, fresh, chopped
DirectionsMix first 8 ingredients in heavy large Dutch oven.
Bring to boil.
Reduce heat and simmer until tender, stirring occasionally, abut 35 minutes.
(Can be made 1 day ahead.
) Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large Dutch oven over high heat.
Add bones and brown well, about 8 minutes.
Add all broth; bring to boil.
Reduce heat; simmer until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 6 minutes.
Strain into small saucepan.
Set sauce aside.
Preheat oven to 400F.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over high heat.
Sprinkle lamb with salt and pepper.
Add to skillet; brown on all sides, about 8 minutes.
Transfer lamb to baking sheet.
Roast lamb to desired doneness, about 8 minutes for medium-rare.
Place Lamb on work surface.
Let stand 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, rewarm cabbage, stirring often.
Bring sauce to simmer.
Remove sauce from heat; add butter and whisk just until melted.
Mix in basil.
Arrange cabbage on plates.
Cut lamb between bones and arrange atop cabbage.
Spoon sauce over lamb and serve.