Kabocha Squash Congee
- 1 cup raw long-grain white rice, rinsed
- 7 cups chicken, or vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher, plus more for seasoning or sea salt
- One-inch knob ginger, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 small kabocha squash, (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- green onion, Sliced, for garnish
- Sesame seed oil, to taste (optional) or soy sauce
DirectionsIn large pot add stock, rice, salt and ginger.
Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a low simmer.
Stir occasionally so that the rice doesn't clump or stick at the bottom.
While the congee is simmering prep the kabocha squash: peel, seed and cut the kabocha squash into bite sized pieces, about 1/2-inch cubes.
Simmer the congee for about 30 minutes then add the kabocha squash.
Add additional water if necessary if the kabocha is not cooked fully.
Continue to simmer until the congee is thickened and creamy and the kabocha squash is tender and soft.
Add salt to taste.
Top with sliced green onions and sesame oil or soy sauce, if desired.
Serve the congee hot.