Apple and Dried-Fruit Spice Pie
- 4 lbs granny smith apples, peeled, cored & cut into chunks (about 6 large apples)
- 23 cup cherries, dried
- 23 cup cranberries, dried
- 23 cup golden raisin
- 23 cup dark raisin
- 23 cup currant, dried
- 12 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 12 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 12 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 12 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 12 teaspoon allspice
- 12 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 orange, minced, zest of
- 1 lemon, minced, zest of
- 23 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 14 cup sugar, granulated
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 12 cup dark rum, (optional)
- 10 inches double crust pie crusts
DirectionsPreheat oven to 350 degrees F with an oven rack in lowest position.
Working in 2 batches, & using a food processor, pulse apples into pea-size pieces, then transfer the apples to a large mixing bowl.
Put cherries, cranberries & raisins in food processor & whirl just until fruit starts to break up, then add this fruit mixture to the apples.
Stir in currants, spices, salt, zests, sugars, cornstarch (& rum, if using it).
Pour this mixture into a 9.5-inch deep dish pie pan with a bottom crust in it.
Prepare a lattice top with 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch wide dough strips & complete a lattice top using them.
Trip excess dough flush with edge of the pie pan, then use floured fingers to press edge of pie & seal strips to bottom edge.
Bake about 1 1/2 hours, or until golden brown & bubbling, & if necessary, put a a drip pan under the pie for the last 30 minutes.
Cool to room temperature before serving.
Refrigerate any leftovers.