Baked Winter Squash With Garlic Herb Crust Recipe
- 1 1/2 c. bread crumbs, fresh
- 1/4 c. parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 Tbsp parsley, fresh, finely minced
- 1 Tbsp caraway seeds, lightly crushed
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp thyme, fresh, finely minced
- 2 tsp chives, fresh, finely minced
- 1 tsp rosemary, fresh, finely minced
- 1 tsp mint, fresh, finely minced
- 3 med garlic cloves, finely minced finely grated zest of 2 lemons winter squash casserole
- 2 med acorn squash
- 2 med butternut squash
- 2 med baking potatoes
- 2 med tomatoes
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 c. chicken stock
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 2 sm garlic cloves, finely minced,
- 1 tsp horseradish, fresh, finely grated
- 1 tsp thyme, fresh, finely minced
DirectionsPeel, halve, and seed the acorn squash and cut them crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
Peel, halve, and seed the butternut squash and cut them crosswise into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
Peel and halve the potatoes and cut them into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
Core the tomatoes and cut them into 1/8-inch-thick slices.
Toss together all the ingredients listed under Garlic-Herb Crust and reserve.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
Grease a 2- to 2 1/2-qt casserole.
Starting and ending with acorn squash, arrange the squashes, potatoes, and tomatoes in alternating layers in the casserole, lightly seasoning each layer with salt and pepper.
In a medium saucepan, gently simmer the chicken stock, cream, garlic, horseradish, and thyme for 5 min.
Pour over the squash.
Bake the casserole, covered, for 30 min.
Then spread the crust proportionately over the surface of the casserole.
Bake, uncovered, for 30 min more.
This recipe serves 6 to 8. by Norman Kolpas with George Maheffey