Angel-Hair Pasta with Sauteed Oysters and Chorizo
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces hot chorizo sausage, dried, thinly sliced into rounds
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, freshly ground
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 2 dozen shucked fresh oysters, plus 2/3 cup strained oyster liquor
- 8 ounces angel-hair pasta
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest, finely grated
DirectionsBring a large pot of water to a boil.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Cook, stirring, until crisp, about 3 minutes.
Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels, and let drain.
Wipe out pan.
Melt butter in the pan over medium heat.
Add flour, spices, and 1 teaspoon salt.
Cook, whisking constantly, 3 minutes (do not brown).
Add sherry, and cook, whisking, 1 minute.
Whisk in cream and oyster liquor.
Bring to a simmer, and whisk until thick, about 3 minutes.
Add salt to boiling water; add pasta, and cook until al dente.
Add oysters to sauce; gently poach until just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes.
Add pasta; toss.
Divide among plates.
Top with chorizo; sprinkle with orange zest.