- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups lightly cooked crushed tomatoes *
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, smashed, peeled, and
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 4 cups broccoli florets, (about 6 ounces)
- 3/4 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 pound zucchini, trimmed and cut into 2 by 1/2 by 1/2-inch strips
- 3/4 cup snow peas, trimmed
- 4 asparagus spears, trimmed, peeled, and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup green peas, frozen, fresh or
- 2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms, (about 1/2 pound)
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound spaghetti, or spaghettini
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 6 leaves basil, fresh
DirectionsCombine butter, broth, and cream in a 2 cup glass measure.
Cook in microwave, uncovered, at 100 percent for 5 minutes.
Combine tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, pepper flakes, and parsley in a 4 cup glass measure.
Cook, uncovered, at 100 percent for 5 minutes.
Place a large pot of water on the stove to boil for the spaghetti.
In a 11 by 2-inch round dish, arrange the vegetables in concentric rings, with broccoli inside rim, then green beans, zucchini, snow peas, and asparagus.
Mound peas in center.
Toss mushroom slices and pine nuts in oil and sprinkle over vegetables.
Cover tightly with microwaveable plastic wrap.
Cook at 100 percent for 7 minutes.
Cook pasta in boiling water and drain.
Remove vegetables from oven and pierce plastic with the tip of a sharp knife.
Reheat reserved sauces at the same time, in their separate measures, uncovered, at 100 percent for 4 minutes.
Place drained pasta in a large ceramic dish that will fit into the microwave oven.
While pasta is hot, toss with vegetables, cream sauce, and one half the tomato sauce.
Reheat pasta, uncovered, at 100 percent for 4 minutes.
Remove from oven and toss with Parmesan cheese, salt, and basil.
To serve, spoon some of remaining tomato sauce over each portion.
* Can use canned tomatoes