Carrot Cupcakes With Orange Icing
- 4 medium carrots
- 1 12 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 12 teaspoons baking powder
- 12 teaspoon baking soda
- 34 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 12 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 14 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
- 34 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 14 cups confectioners' sugar
- 12 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 2 -3 tablespoons orange juice, fresh
DirectionsMake cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350F with rack in middle.
Line muffin cups with paper liners.
Coarsely grate enough carrots to measure 2 cups using large teardrop holes of a box grater.
Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in a bowl.
Whisk together oil, eggs, brown sugar, grated carrots, and vanilla in a large bowl, then stir in flour mixture until just combined.
Divide batter among muffin cups and bake until golden and a wooden pick inserted into center of a cupcake comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
Cool in pan on a rack 10 minutes.
Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on rack, about 1 hour more.
To make the icing: Sift confectioners sugar into a bowl.
Whisk in zest and 2 tablespoons juice until smooth.
If icing is too thick, add more juice, 1 teaspoon at a time.
Dip top of each cupcake into icing, letting excess drip off.
Let icing set, about 15 minutes.