Red Chard Risotto
- 5 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped,
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice, or medium-grain white rice
- 4 cups (packed) red Swiss chard leaves, coarsely chopped, (about 1 bunch)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese
DirectionsBring broth to simmer in medium saucepan.
Cover and keep warm.
Heat oil in heavy large Dutch oven over medium heat.
Add onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
Add rice and chard and stir until chard begins to wilt, about 3 minutes.
Add wine and simmer until absorbed, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes.
Add 4 1/2 cups hot broth.
Simmer until rice is just tender and risotto is creamy, stirring frequently and adding remaining 1/2 cup broth by 1/4 cupfuls if mixture is dry, about 20 minutes.
Mix in 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese; season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer risotto to medium bowl.
Serve, passing additional Parmesan separately.