Strawberry and Creme Fraiche Gratin
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup panko, (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar such as Sugar in the Raw
- 1 cup creme fraiche
- 4 cups (from about 2 pounds) strawberries, hulled and halved lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons wildflower, or regular honey
- 8 (6-inch) ovenprodessert plates
In 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, melt butter.
Add panko and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes.
Add cinnamon, pepper, and sugar, and toss to combine.
Transfer to medium bowl and set aside.
Spoon 2 tablespoons creme fraiche onto center of each ovenproof plate.
Arrange 1/2 cup strawberries on top of each circle of creme fraiche.
Drizzle each plate with 1 1/2 teaspoons honey and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon panko mixture.
Working in batches, place plates on large rimmed baking sheet and broil until the creme fraiche starts to bubble and turn light golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
Keep warm while broiling other batches and serve immediately.