Lemon Orzo Primavera
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 cup Uncooked Orzo Pasta
- 1/4 cups White Wine, (optional)
- 2 cloves Garlic, Minced,
- 1 whole Onion, Diced,
- 1 cup Carrots, Diced (2-3 Whole)
- 1- 1/2 cup Yellow Squash, Diced (about 1 Whole)
- 1- 1/2 cup Zucchini, Diced (about 1 Whole)
- 1 cup Asparagus, Cut Into Thirds
- 1- 3/4 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 whole Lemon, (zest Of The Whole Lemon, Juice Of Half Of The Lemon, Divided Use)
- 2 whole Chicken Breasts, Diced, Cooked &
- 1/4 cups Parmesan Cheese
DirectionsHeat oil in a large saute or frying pan over medium heat.
Add orzo and cook approximately 2 minutes until golden.
Add white wine if using and cook till absorbed.
I usually use Sauvignon Blanc, but any nice white will do.
Add garlic, onion, and carrots (any veggies that may take a little longer to cook) and season with salt and pepper.
Cook about 2 minutes.
Next, add zucchini, yellow squash, and asparagus (any quicker cooking vegetables).
Cook about 1-2 minutes.
Add chicken broth and lemon zest, and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and let simmer till broth is absorbed and the orzo is cooked (about 10 minutes).
Near end of cook time, add diced chicken and heat through (note: the chicken should have already been cooked prior to this point).
Once its all cooked, add salt & pepper to taste, stir in parmesan cheese, and squeeze juice of half the lemon over top (more to taste), and serve.
*Note: you could make this vegetarian by using vegetable broth and no chicken.
Aim for about 5-6 cups of chopped veggies total.