Belgian Beef Stew Recipe
- 3 lb Lean stewing beef cut into 1 1/2-in cubes Flour for dredging
- 5 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2 lrg Onions peeled and thinly, sliced
- 2 x Garlic cloves peeled and chopped Salt Freshly grnd black pepper
- 12 ounce Beer
- 2 lb Sauerkraut rinsed and squeezed dry
- 2 Tbsp Marjoram
- 2 Tbsp Dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp Celery seed
- 1 x Bay leaf
- 3/4 c. Pitted green olives, sliced,
- 1 c. Cream, (optional)
- 1/2 c. flat-leaf parsley for garnish, Chopped
DirectionsPREHEAT OVEN TO 325F.
Dredge the meat in flour.
Heat 3 Tbsp.
of oil in a Dutch oven.
Add in only sufficient meat to cover the bottom of the pan without crowding and brown on all sides, scraping and turning the cubes so which they do not burn.
Remove the meat with a slotted spoon to a bowl, and continue till all the meat is browned, adding fresh oil as needed.
If the oil has burned or possibly more oil is needed, add in the remaining 2 Tbsp.
of oil to the pot.
When it is warm, add in the onions and cook for 6-to-7 min more, stirring frequently till they are light brown and soft.
Stir in the garlic.
Add in the meat, salt, pepper, beer, sauerkraut, marjoram, brown sugar, celery seed, bay leaf and olives and stir to mix well.
Cover and transfer the casserole to the oven for 1 1/2 hrs.
After the meat is tender, remove the bay leaf, skim off any excess fat and stir in the cream, if you like.
Add in the parsley.