Pumpkin & Almond Pilau (Rice)
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped,
- 2 tablespoons ginger, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped,
- 1 lemon, finely grated, zest of
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon toasted coriander seed
- 5 cm piece cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 cup roasted and chopped almonds, plus extra for garnish
- 2 cups pumpkin, that has been peeled seeded and diced 2cm
- 2 cups basmati rice, well rinsed in cold water, soaked 30 minutes and well drained
- 3 cups chicken stock
DirectionsHeat the oil in a saucepan until hot but not smoking.
Add everything except the rice and stock and stir-fry over moderate heat, without browning, until the onion is soft.
Add the rice and mix well.
Add the stock, mix well and bring to the boil.
Cover tightly, turn the heat to the lowest setting (or if your stove is electric, put a heat-diffusing mat under the saucepan and turn the heat to low) and cook 25 minutes.
Do not uncover for any reason during this time.
Uncover and gently mix well so that everything is evenly distributed.
Pile the pilau onto a serving dish and scatter extra roasted almonds on top.