Lemongrass Chicken Pho
- 8 ounces rice noodles, dried
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 3 quarts (12 cups) chicken broth
- Four to six 1/4-inch slices peeled fresh ginger
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into quarters and thin slices
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup Mae Ploy fish sauce
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch by 2-inch strips
- 1/2 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 pound bean sprouts, fresh
- 1 bunch fresh Thai basil, chopped,
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded, and cut into thin slices
- Peanuts, coarsely chopped,
- Chile-garlic sauce
- Hoisin sauce
DirectionsSoak the noodles in a large bowl of warm water for 30 minutes.
Drain in a colander over the sink.
Trim the bottom of the lemongrass stalk (approximately 1/4 inch) and discard; remove the outer husk and cut the light green interior into 1/4-inch slices.
In a large Dutch oven simmer the chicken broth, lemongrass, ginger, onion, sugar, and fish sauce for 15 minutes.
Add the chicken strips and presoaked rice noodles and cook uncovered for 10 more minutes.
Serve in deep soup bowls accompanied by a platter of green onion, bean sprouts, Thai basil, lime wedges, jalapenos, and peanuts.
Let everyone flavor their own soup with chile-garlic sauce or hoisin sauce, and add their own garnishes.