Lemony Ginger Drops
- 2 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon lemon, grated, zest of
- 12 teaspoon salt
- 12 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 12 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 14 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 12 cup sugar
- 14 cup butter flavor shortening
- 12 cup molasses, regular or unsulphured
- 12 cup hot water
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar, (aka powdered sugar)
- 12 teaspoon and minced lemon, shredded, zest of
- 1 tablespoon salted butter, at room temperature or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh, strained
- 1 tablespoon milk, approximately
DirectionsAdjust two racks to divide the oven into thirds.
Preheat the oven to 375 deg.
Lightly grease two baking sheets.
In a medium-size bowl, with a whisk, combine the flour, baking soda, lemon zest, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves until thoroughly mixed.
In a large bowl, with an electric mixer at medium-high speed, beat the sugar, shortening, molasses, water, and egg until creamy, 1 to 2 minutes.
With the mixer at medium-low speed, gradually add the flour mixture, beating just until blended.
Let stand for 5 minutes before dropping by rounded teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets, spacing the drops about 2 inches apart.
Bake for 8 to 12 minutes until the edges are pale golden brown.
Reverse the baking sheets on the racks and from front to back once during baking.
With a wide turner, immediately transfer the cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
While the cookies are cooling, make the icing.
In a small bowl, beat together the confectioners' sugar, lemon zest, butter, and lemon juice.
Gradually add the milk until the mixture reaches a good spreading consistency.
With a small spatula or a butter spreader, spread thinly over the cooled cookies.
Let set until the icing hardens, about 1 hour.
Store in a tightly covered container, separating the layers with sheets of waxed paper.