Corn and Black Bean Salsa/Salad
- 1 can (15 ounce) black beans
- 1 can (15 ounce) dark red kidney beans
- 1 can (15 ounce) black-eyed peas
- 1 -2 jalapeno, fresh, finely diced (leave in some seeds for more heat)
- 34 red onion, diced,
- 12 large red bell pepper, diced,
- 12 large green bell pepper, diced,
- 3 ears fresh corn, (remove kernels with sharp knife)
- 12 bunch cilantro, diced,
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, (cut in half or quarters depending on size)
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 12 cup canola oil
- 14 cup cider vinegar, (or 1/8 cup cider vinegar and 1/8 cup white vinegar if you want it a little less sweet)
- 18 cup sugar
- 1 lime, (juice of)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
DirectionsDrain and rinse all 3 cans of beans and place in a large bowl.
Remove corn from the 3 cobs.
(Can use the equivalent amount of frozen corn) and add to the beans.
Dice red onion, red and green pepper, jalapenos (1 for mild, 2 for a bit more heat), cilantro and garlic.
Mix in with the bean/corn mixture.
In a small saucepan, combine canola oil, cider vinegar and sugar.
Whisk together and heat until mixture just starts to boil and remove from heat.
Add in the juice of 1 lime, cumin and salt.
Stir to combine.
Let this mixture cool slightly.
Pour oil/vinegar mixture over beans/corn and stir to combine well.
Add in the chopped cherry tomatoes and stir again.
Add additional salt if needed.
Tastes great right away, but gets even better if it sits overnight in the fridge.
Serve with tortilla chips.
(I like to add this to a lettuce salad with chopped grilled chicken and mix in crushed tortilla chips).