Fettuccine with Country Ham and Vegetables
- 1 small carrot, peeled, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 24 asparagus spears, trimmed cut into 2-inch pieces
- 12 ounces fettuccine
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced leeks, (white and pale green parts only)
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, cut into matchstick-size strips
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated, (about 1 1/2 ounces)
- 2/3 cup country ham, diced
- Additional grated Parmesan cheese
DirectionsBring large pot of salted water to boil.
Add carrot and cook until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes.
Using slotted spoon, transfer carrot to strainer and cool.
Add asparagus to boiling water and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes.
Using slotted spoon, remove asparagus pieces, reserving tips for garnish.
Add pasta to boiling water and cook until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally.
Return to same pot.
Meanwhile, heat oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat.
Add leeks and bell pepper; saute 2 minutes.
Add cream and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
Mix in 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese and country ham.
Add carrot and asparagus pieces to sauce.
Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Pour sauce over pasta and toss to coat evenly.
Divide pasta among 4 plates.
Garnish with asparagus tips.
Serve, passing additional Parmesan separately.