Poppy Seed and Vanilla Pound Cake with Citrus Plum Compote
- 4 cups cake flour sift before measuring
- 5 tablespoons poppy seed
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 each vanilla bean
- 1 3/4 sticks butter, unsalted softened
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs warmed in water, warm for 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup light cream, (half&half) at room temperature for half an hour
- 2 pounds plums firm and ripe, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/2 cup sugar, or to tast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest freshly grated, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, grated
DirectionsFor the pound cake: Postion the rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 350F.
Grease a 9- by 5-inch loaf pan with butter, then flour it.
Add flour, poppy seeds, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl, whisk until well blended.
Scrape seeds from vanilla bean with tip of a paring knife into a bowl, then add butter and sugar, beat with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to4 minutes.
Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each adding.
At low speed, add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with half and half, starting and finishing with flour, and blending until just incorporated.
Spoon batter into loaf pan, smoothing top.
Bake until golden, brown and a wooden stick inserted into center comes out with crumbs adhering, 60 minutes to 80 minutes.
Cool in pan for half an hour.
Run a knife around edge of cake to loosen, then invert cake onto a wire rack.
Cool completely, right side up.
To make the compote: Add fruit, 1/2 cup sugar or to taste, 1 teaspoon zest, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan, stir until well mixed.
Simmer, stirring once a while, until fruit starts falling apart and liquid is slightly syrupy, 30 to 35 minutes.
Remove from heat and mix in remaining 1/2 teaspoon zest and nutmeg.
Transfer to a bowl and let cool.
Serve warm or at room temperature.