Spiced Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- 1 13 cups butter, softened and divided or 1 13 cups margarine
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 can (20 ounce) pineapple slices, drained
- 10 -12 maraschino cherries
- 12 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 12 cups sugar, granulated
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 12 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 teaspoon salt
- 12 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 12 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 cup buttermilk
DirectionsPreheat oven to 350F.
In a small saucepan, melt 2/3 cup butter; stir in brown sugar.
Spread in the bottom of an ungreased heavy 12-inch skillet or a 13x9x2-inch pan.
Arrange pineapple slices in a single layer over the sugar mixture; place a maraschino cherry in the center of each.
Sprinkle with pecans and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar and remaining butter.
Beat in eggs and vanilla.
Combine the dry ingredients; add alternately with the buttermilk, mixing well after each addition.
Carefully pour over the pineapple.
Bake at 350F for 40 minutes for a skillet, and 50-60 minutes for a baking pan, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
IMMEDIATELY invert onto serving platter.