Mussels With Smoky Bacon, Lime, and Cilantro
- 200 g lean bacon
- 2 large shallots, sliced, thinly
- 1 large jalapeno, thinly sliced into rings, seeds removed
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 14 ounces plum tomatoes, finely chopped, drained and finely chopped or 12 lb of fresh plum tomato
- 12 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 12 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, fresh
- 14 cup cilantro, fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
DirectionsCook the bacon in a large, heavy pan over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes.
Pour off all but two tablespoons of the fat.
Add the shallots and jalapeno, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened but not browned, about 4 minutes.
Add the tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes.
Add the wine and ketchup and simmer until reduced by half, about 4 minutes.
Increase the heat to high and add the mussels.
Cover and cook, shaking the pan a few times until the mussels open, about 5 minutes.
With a slotted spoon, transfer the mussels to four large shallow bowls.
Off heat, stir in the lime juice, cilantro, and butter.
Ladle the sauce over the mussels.