Quinoa Salad with Roasted Peppers and Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups orange juice, fresh
- 2 cups water
- Kosher salt
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 large yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 medium cucumberpeeled, finely diced, halved, seeded and
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, finely diced, seeded and
- 1/4 cup basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup mint, finely chopped
- black pepper, Freshly ground
DirectionsIn a medium saucepan, heat the 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
Add the quinoa and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
Add the orange juice, water and a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil.
Cover and cook over low heat until the liquid is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
Fluff the quinoa with a fork and spread on a baking sheet to cool.
Meanwhile, roast the red and yellow peppers directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning occasionally, until charred all over.
Transfer the peppers to a bowl, cover and let steam for 10 minutes.
Peel and seed them and cut into 1/4-inch dice.
In a medium skillet, toast the pine nuts over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden and fragrant, about 5 minutes.
Transfer the pine nuts to a plate to cool.
In a large bowl, whisk the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil with the vinegar.
Add the quinoa, peppers, pine nuts, cucumber, tomato, basil and mint and toss well, breaking up any lumps of quinoa.
Season the salad with salt and pepper and serve.