Spiced Appe Muffins (Healthier!)
- 1 12 cups unbleached flour, or 1 12 cups all-purpose flour
- 34 cup packed brown sugar
- 12 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 14 teaspoon salt
- 14 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1 cup 2% buttermilk
- 14 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and fienly chopped (about 2 cups)
- 14 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
DirectionsTO MAKE THE MUFFINS: Preheat the oven to 400*.
Lightly coat a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with paper liners.
In a large bowl, mix together the unbleached or all-purpose flour, brown sugar, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg.
Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, applesauce, egg whties, and vanilla extract.
Scrape into the well in the flour mixture.
Stir just until the batter is moistened.
Fold in the apples and walnuts.
Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups.
TO MAKE THE TOPPING: In a small cup, stir together the sugar and cinnamon.
Sprinkle evenly over the muffins.
Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
Cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes.
Invert onto the rack and serve warm or at room temperature.