Apple-Cinnamon Coffeecake/Coffee Cake (Cooking Light)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, (original recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, about 6 3/4 ounces)
- 12 cup whole wheat flour, (not in original)
- 23 cup sugar, granulated, (original recipe calls for 1 cup)
- 1 12 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 12 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 12 teaspoon salt
- 34 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 12-2 cups granny smith apples, peeled, diced, (original recipe calls for 1 cup)
- cooking spray
- 14 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 12 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 2 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
DirectionsTo prepare cake, lightly spoon the flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
Make a well in center of mixture.
Combine milk, melted butter, vanilla, and egg, stirring with a whisk; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist.
Fold in apple.
Pour batter into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray.
To prepare streusel, combine brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Sprinkle streusel evenly over batter.
Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack before serving.